Keto Savory Pancakes
These simple savory Asian pancakes are savory, delicious, and soft keto breads. You can slice and serve the pancakes as an appetizer along with an Asian dipping sauce. You can also use pieces of the pancakes for a side dish with some of the keto Asian meals. These savory Asian pancakes would also be yummy with a keto salad or keto soup. Then too, a variety of different keto vegetables can be added.
This particular savory Asian pancake is prepared with a nutritious okara flour. This keto flour substitute is high in fiber with only 3 net carbs per half cup of the flour. You can purchase the okara flour online or make your own okara flour. As you prepare one of the homemade soy milk recipes or homemade tofu, you can easily accumulate a significant amount of soy pulp. This pulp can be dehydrated to make okara flour. Therefore, you get to harness some of the wonderful health benefits of soybeans with this recipe.
These savory Asian pancakes are prepared with egg, flour, garlic, onion, bouillon powder, carrot, onion, syrup, and oil. The original recipe provided in the recipe card makes 2 large savory Asian pancakes that you can share. However, they can also be made into smaller pancakes.
- Egg – Both the egg yolk and the egg white are used in this delicious savory Asian pancake recipe.
- Flour – A high fiber, high protein okara flour is added to this pancake recipe. The flour is naturally white in color, but the egg yolks give the pancakes more of a yummy golden brown bread color.
- Garlic/Onion – A garlic and onion powder are used to give the pancake a garlic and onion taste.
- Bouillon Powder – You can add a vegetable, chicken, or beef bouillon powder to flavor the pancakes. This recipe was prepared with a chicken bouillon powder. Instead of using bouillon powder, you could add a splash of soy sauce. Just keep in mind that it will make the pancake batter a little thinner and a little darker.
- Carrot – Carrots are technically not a keto vegetable. However, they are very keto friendly when used in small amounts. This recipe uses the equivalent of about 1 baby carrot. In this way, you get to enjoy a nice pop of orange color along with the semi-sweet taste and crunchy texture of carrots.
- Onions – Both purple onions and green onions are added to this recipe. You can use one or the other or both.
- Syrup – While the pancakes are mostly savory, a small amount of syrup is added for moisture and a hint of sweetness
- Oil – A sesame seed oil is used to cook and flavor the pancakes. Since the sesame seed oil is part of the flavor, it is not substitutable. For a more intense sesame flavor, you can add a few drops to the savory Asian pancakes batter.
Savory Asian Pancakes (Okara)
- Prepare the carrots, purple onions. and green onions as needed.
- Place the okara flour, onion powder, garlic powder, and bouillon powder together in a small bowl.
- Stir the dry ingredients well and then add the eggs and syrup.
- Mix the pancake batter well to make sure it is free of lumps.
- Now place the sesame seed oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the pancake batter into the skillet once the oil starts to warm.
- Then place the sliced carrots, sliced onions, and chopped green onions on top.
- The pancakes can be flipped in about one minute to let the opposite side cook.
That is all for now! You can find more keto breads to prepare. In the meantime, savor the flavor of these savory Asian pancakes.