Keto Trail Mix
This high iron keto trail mix recipe blend is a delicious blend for people with iron deficiency anemia or low iron levels. It is loaded with a variety of nutrients from nuts. The nuts not only contain iron, they contain nutrient that can enhance the uptake of iron as needed. Therefore, unless contraindicated, anyone can enjoy the taste of this yummy keto trail mix blend.
Iron helps transport oxygen throughout the entire body. And as a result, the oxygen does things like produce energy and red blood cells. So, there is no wondering why some of the symptoms of iron deficiency anemia include shortness of breath, fatigue, tiredness, and heart palpitations.
While there are many forms of anemia, iron-deficiency anemia is the most common. People can naturally increase their iron with the right combination of foods. For example, in order for iron to be absorbed in the gut, copper is needed. Therefore, in the presence of copper, the iron that you eat in your diet can be better absorbed and used by the body. There is an increase in copper requirements as a person ages, however, on average, adults should get 900 micrograms (mcg) of copper every day. Each ingredient used in this keto trail mix recipe contains varying amounts of both copper and iron. Therefore, this keto trail mix recipe blend can be beneficial for people with iron deficiency anemia by helping to increase iron and energy levels. So, lets get to this simple delicious high iron keto trail mix recipe.
This high iron keto trail mix blend is made with almonds, pistachios, cashews, and chocolate.
- Almonds – Whole unsalted almonds are used to make this keto trail mix recipe. However, you can capture some of the the same almond health benefits with salted or lightly salted almonds.
- Pistachios – No shell salted pistachios are used to make this trail mix. However, you may capture even more pistachio health benefits with the unshelled pistachios that you shell yourself.
- Cashews – One of the health benefits of cashews is that it is a good source of copper (and iron). According to the National Institute of Health (NIH, one ounce of cashews provide 70% of the recommended daily intake (RDI) .
- Chocolate – One of the health benefits of dark chocolate is that it is a very rich source of both iron and copper. The NIH reports that one ounce of chocolate provides 56% of the recommended daily intake (RDI) of copper. So, you can make this high iron keto trail mix with any sugar free dark chocolate. This particular recipe uses the Russel Stover’s Sugar Free Chocolate Candy Gems. They are incredibly delicious and can be used in other keto trail mix recipes as well. Two other sugar free dark chocolates that I have used and liked are the Baked Believe Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Chips and Lily’s Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Chips. They are made with sugar substitutes that do not cause gastrointestinal upset.
High Iron Keto Trail Mix
- Place the almonds, pistachios, cashews, and sugar free chocolate gems in a small bag or container.
- Gently stir the mixture together. Then, enjoy!
With all that said, there are many nuts and seeds high in iron that you can use to make your own delicious blend. However, I hope you have been enjoying some of our keto trail mix recipes! They make such wonderfully delicious, healthy, and satiating keto snacks! This delicious high iron keto trail mix recipe blend is one way to boost your iron naturally.