Keto Trail Mix
This is a yummy heart healthy keto trail mix blend. As a low carb keto snack-ster, I could literally live off different keto trail mix recipes. With so many people being on the move for business, pleasure, or otherwise, I thought today would be a good day to share another keto trail mix recipe with you. For those of you not familiar with the term keto, it ultimately means sugar free (or no sugar added in some cases) and often extremely low carb. So, this heart healthy keto trail mix is another one of many diabetic trail mix recipes that we have. The chocolate buttons shown are sugar free and the dried cranberries shown are now available with no sugar added.
Unless you load nuts up with a bunch of salt, sugar, or rancid oils, they are all really good for your health. Keto trail mix recipes have no sugar added and are loaded with healthy fats and antioxidants that improve cardiovascular (heart) health. And since this is a homemade keto trail mix recipe, you can add as much or as little salt as you want making it low sodium or even no sodium to improve your blood pressure.
Nuts are also promoted as reducing the risk of diabetes, reversing prediabetes, and managing type 2 diabetes. One reason for all of this is because of the healthy fats that make us feel full and satisfied longer, and thereby results in eating less junk foods. And secondly, nuts, chocolates, and cranberries are loaded with micronutrients that many people lack in their diet. So, a heart healthy keto trail mix is like taking a really good multivitamin. Then too, they are loaded with fiber. A substance that helps improve gut health and ultimately the immune system.
However, as with most foods, some have more of one micronutrient than another. So, let’s get to the ingredients used to make this heart healthy keto trail mix recipe.
This heart healthy keto trail mix recipe is made with a combination of salted and unsalted nuts. However, you can make this an almost no sodium recipe by using unsalted nuts. Or, you can add more salted nuts to make it a saltier blend for working or playing outside in the heat.
- Peanuts – I will control myself and not elaborate too much on the health benefits of peanuts. However, there is a little article series about some of the unique health benefits of eating peanuts in the SIMPLE – Fall 2020 Edition. With that said, unsalted peanuts are used in this recipe. All peanut brands are not made the same, so stick with a brand that you know and trust.
- Pistachios – This little green tree nut contains a high amount of B-6 for food and energy metabolism. It also has a higher ratio of essential amino acids for vegans, the combination of proteins that we need to sustain life.
- Walnuts – The walnut halves included in this recipe are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 helps to improve cardiovascular health and brain health. However, there are other walnut health benefits that can help improve or maintain heart health.
- Almonds – Whole salted almonds are used in this keto trail mix recipe. The health benefits of almonds are also impressive. Unsalted almonds are pretty easy to come by if you want to used unsalted almonds.
- Chocolate – There are many incredible dark chocolate health benefits that literally lift our mood and make us feel good in more ways than one. So, delicious sugar free chocolate buttons are used in this keto trail mix recipe. If you must swap them for something else, you can swap them for Lily’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips or Baked Believe Sugar Free Chocolate Chips. They are both yummy and sweetened with sugar substitutes that do no cause gastrointestinal upset. However, the sugar free chocolate buttons are also used in this keto trail mix recipe.
- Dried Cranberries – No sugar added cranberries are used in this heart healthy keto trail mix blend. Cranberries are often promoted for their urinary tract health benefits. However, they are also known to improve immune function and reduce blood pressure.
Heart Healthy Keto Trail Mix
- Place all of the ingredients in a small container.
- Then, just gently stir or shake.
That is all for now! There are more low carb keto trail mix recipes that are all no sugar added or sugar free trail mix recipes for diabetics. So, if you are on a keto diet or a diabetic diet, even the low carb trail mix recipes are keto and diabetic-friendly. I hope you enjoy this heart healthy keto trail mix blend.