Keto Mexican Chicken Soup
Well, it is a cold and rainy day, so I decided to skip the low carb Mexican bowl and head straight for a warm keto Mexican chicken soup recipe instead. This is a very authentic tasting keto Mexican chicken soup recipe. So, if you are missing your favorite authentic Mexican food restaurant, this flavorful keto Mexican chicken soup might be what you are looking for!
When living in Houston, there were many good authentic Mexican food restaurants everywhere. Then, I also had the privilege of working with a lady whose family owned an authentic Mexican restaurant. With that said, our office periodically scored some really nice tasting authentic Mexican food dishes. And I got to pick her brain about some of the ingredients used for preparation.
I started cooking this keto Mexican Chicken soup by seasoning the chicken thighs really well with onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and sea salt. When adding cooked chicken to a soup, it is better to over season the meat a little instead of under seasoning it. In this way, the chicken will continue to have its own delicious and savory taste after it has been added to the soup. While the chicken cooked, the vegetables were sauteed in a skillet to prepare for bringing this keto Mexican chicken soup together. Once the vegetables are finished cooking, the soup base can be prepared with a few basic seasonings. And lastly, this low carb chicken soup is served in a medium-sized bowl and topped with diced avocados, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, shredded cheddar cheese, and some fresh squeezed lime juice. So, let’s get started.
Keto Mexican Chicken Soup
- 2 c. Water (add an extra cup if you omit the canned tomatoes)
- 1 c. Canned Diced Tomatoes Canned, Diced, Unsalted (Omit the tomatoes for a stricter keto version, add 1 cup of water instead.)
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Sea Salt (Pink Himalayan, salt to taste)
- CHICKEN: Season the 4 large boneless chicken thighs and place them in a skillet over medium-high heat setting. Add about half a cup of water and then cover it with a lid.
- SAUTE: Next, place the chopped yellow onions, chopped celery, and olive oil in another skillet or a medium pot. Saute the vegetables until they start getting tender and then add the minced garlic and fresh cut jalapenos.
- BOIL: Once the vegetables are cooked, add the water, canned diced tomatoes, cumin, powdered black pepper, cayenne pepper powder, and pink Himalayan sea salt to a medium pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
- TOPPINGS: Prepare your toppings to serve with this delicious keto Mexican chicken soup recipe.
- Once the chicken has cooked and the soup base has been prepared, add the cooked chicken to the soup base. You can shred, chop or add whole pieces of chicken to the soup. Let simmer on low heat for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Finally, serve the soup in a bowl and add the toppings!
I hope you enjoy this authentic tasting low carb mexican chicken soup recipe as much as I did. If so, you may also enjoy some of our other keto low carb Mexican food recipes. Please let me know how you enjoyed this keto mexican chicken soup recipe.