Pumpkin Cabbage Soup
This semi-sweet and earthy low carb pumpkin cabbage soup is for the adventurous palate! While it looks simple, this delightful low carb pumpkin cabbage soup has depth. If you have ever been street food vendor hopping in Thailand or Vietnam, you know how much depth a simple looking dish may have once you try it. Well, to me – with turmeric, nutmeg and cinnamon – this soup has a nice fall food flavor flair with a Middle Eastern twist. If this pumpkin soup recipe is too adventurous for your palate, you might prefer this simple low carb pumpkin soup recipe instead.
So, without further ado, let’s get to what is used in this low carb pumpkin cabbage soup.
To begin with, the soup is prepared in two parts – in a small pot and a skillet. The pot is used to get the soup base prepared. The soup base includes a chicken broth, pumpkin puree, chopped yellow onions, garlic, nutmeg, and gelatin. I used a chicken bouillon cube that I had on hand to make the broth before adding the pumpkin puree. Be sure to use 100% pumpkin puree with no sugar added, not the pumpkin pie filling (they can be easily confused). Onion and nutmeg are both flavorful natural sedatives while garlic can keep the germs away. The gelatin is primarily used to thicken the soup, however there are many health benefits of collagen.
While the soup base comes together, the cabbage, yellow onions, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, and sea salt are sauteed in a skillet until tender. This is a flavor combination that you will just have to experience for yourself as it is merged with the soup base. So, let’s get to the pumpkin and cabbage soup recipe.
Low Carb Pumpkin Cabbage Soup
Serves: 1-2 | Prep: 15 Mins
Ingredients for The Pot:
- 3 c. Chicken Broth
- 1 tbsp. Chopped Yellow Onions
- 1/2 c. 100% Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Powdered Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. Unflavored Knox Gelatin (Unflavored Vital Proteins Collagen)
Ingredients for The Skillet:
- 2 c. Chopped Cabbage
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 c. Chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Chopped Green Onions (Garnish)
- Place a small to medium-sized pot and skillet on the stove.
- Then, place the chopped cabbage and yellow onions in the skillet with extra virgin olive oil. Gently toss or stir the cabbage until it is coated with the oil.
- Next, add minced garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper and pink Himalayan sea salt. Stir until the cabbage is coated with the herbs and spices. Cover and let sit for a moment.
- Now add the chicken broth into the pot with the onion and garlic. Let this come to a boil.
- While the water is coming to a boil, start sauteeing the cabbage over medium-high heat.
- Once the pot of chicken broth starts boiling, add the pumpkin and nutmeg. Allow the mixture to return to a boil.
- Lastly, slowing pour in the gelatin while stirring with a spoon to avoid any clumping.
- Finally, add the sauteed cabbage to the pot of pumpkin soup and you are ready to serve.
The cabbage can be cooked to your preferred tenderness in the skillet before adding it to the pumpkin soup mixture. In this way, the cabbage can remain a little more al dente (semi-crunchy) if you prefer it this way. I liked mine with a little crunch the first day. However, the leftovers were even better the following day as the flavors had time to merge. So, keep this in mind if you decide to prepare it for guests.
If you are into the health benefits provided by this low carb pumpkin cabbage soup, you may be interested in learning more about the health benefits of nutmeg, cinnamon, black pepper, turmeric, and gelatin (collagen).
That is all for now. Be sure to check out our resources page and online keto store for some of the latest low carb , keto, and diabetic-friendly foods. Please like, share, and subscribe below. I hope you enjoy warming up with this feel good, low carb pumpkin cabbage soup.