Low Carb Apple Pie Recipe
Many of you have asked for a keto apple pie recipe, but this low carb apple pie recipe is a keto friendly apple pie at best. Let me explain. Most apples contain a significant amount of natural sugars. Therefore, I could not rightly call this a keto apple pie recipe. In fact, I initially had no intention of sharing this low carb apple pie recipe. I was merely trying to use some tiny green granny smith apples that had been inherited and sitting in the refrigerator for a while.
So, at first, I just quickly tossed the recipe together. However, this low carb apple pie recipe turned out to be quite the little treat. Therefore, I measured and made it a second time with the intention to share the recipe with you. However, as a low carb apple pie recipe, not a keto apple pie recipe.
As mentioned, this low carb apple pie recipe was made with really small tart green granny smith apples. When cooked on top of the stove, the apples did not caramelize on their own. This indicates that they did not have enough natural sugars to turn syrupy on their own. Therefore, I had to add my own keto sweetener with water and a thickening agent to make it look and taste like an authentic gooey apple pie recipe.
On the other hand, when I later experimented with a few red Washington apples (also inherited, not purchased), the red apples quickly became sticky and caramelized on their own. So, by comparison, the red apples were much sweeter than the green apples used. Therefore, if you are on the keto diet and really want to try this low carb apple pie recipe, aim for a really tart green apple variety. Once you add your own keto sweetener, the sweet and tart apple pie combination is right on point.
Interesting, however, there are more than 7,500 apple varieties with only 2,500 grown in the United States. So, finding the right low sugar apple may be a bit more entertaining than you think. According to one food calorie calculator, one medium granny smith apple with no skin contains 14 grams of carbohydrates, 11 grams of sugar, and 1 gram of dietary fiber.
The low carb apple pie crust is a very basic, but delicious almond flour crust. In fact, you do not even have to add an egg. The crust is simple, but delicious. Let’s get to the low carb apple pie recipe ingredients.
Low Carb Apple Pie
- 1 Almond Flour Pie Crust & Cover (Recipe & Instructions)
- 5 Small Granny Smith Apples
- 2 Tsp. Cinnamon Powder
- 3 Tbsp. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Monk Fruit In The Raw
- 1 Tbsp. Unflavored Gelatin
- 2-3 Tbsp. Sugar-Free Pancake Syrup
- 1/2 c. Water
- Start by cooking the Almond Flour Pie Crust. While the crust is baking, go ahead and prepare the dough for the pie crust cover. Then, set them both aside while you prepare the low carb apple pie filling.
- You can leave the oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Wash and peel the small green granny smith apples. Then, use a knife to slice the apples into small wedges. Be careful to omit the seeds while slicing. The ingredients for the filling should be added at two different intervals. So, add the cinnamon, water, and butter in the amount shown listed above the line.
- Next, place the sliced apples in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Cover with a lid and stir every 3 – 5 minutes until the apple soften to your liking. Once you add the pie crust cover, this low carb apple pie recipe will only bakes for about 15 minutes. Therefore, the apple pie filling should be cooked to your liking before pouring it in the cooked pie crust bottom.
- Once the apples are soft enough, add the remaining ingredients for the filling (listed below the line). Stir for a few minutes until the apples are coated nicely and the unflavored gelatin has dissolved in the water.
- Next, scoop the cooked apples into the cooked pie crust and then add the uncooked pie crust cover.
- Place the low carb apple pie in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
This is a simple low carb apple pie recipe and an even simpler low carb apple pie crust. If you like this recipe, you may also like some of our upcoming recipes. So, please like, share, and subscribe below. I hope you enjoy eating this low carb apple pie recipe with the low carb apple pie crust.