Orange Beef and Broccoli Recipe For Keto, Low Carb & Diabetic Diets
This orange beef and broccoli recipe is an incredible way to add a little more flavor to your keto, low carb, or diabetic diet! For many people on the keto diet or a diabetic diet to reverse type 2 diabetes, the traditional orange beef and broccoli recipe has been off-limits.
Well, after being inside for so long, I decided to experiment with this recipe and one of my diabetic clients loved it. For one reason or another, they have not been able to enjoy the flavor of oranges in many years. And, to me, one of the best parts about this orange beef and broccoli recipe is how simple it is to make. You will need only a handful of ingredients that you should be able to find at most stores.
A traditional orange beef and broccoli recipe is sweet, sticky and served over rice. It is typically made with flank steak, not ground beef. And the sticky sauce is made with orange juice, cornstarch, and marmalade. Of course, the sauce ingredients are high in sugar and carbs. Therefore, a simple sugar-free orange flavoring is used as a substitute. Therefore, this recipe does not add any excess carbs that can elevate your blood sugar levels.
My version of this orange beef and broccoli recipe is made with ground beef because it is what I had. However, once you decide that it is worthy of your low carb meal prep rotation, you may decide to use flank steak instead of ground beef. The simple sugar-free orange flavor substitute comes from a package of sugar-free orange jello. I have seen some keto’ers use a sugar-free orange marmalade. The marmalade may give your orange beef and broccoli recipe more of the sticky feel that you are accustomed to. However, I was not able to get any from my local store, so thus far, I have kept using sugar-free orange jello for this quick and easy recipe.
As mentioned before, this orange beef and broccoli recipe for keto, low carb, and diabetic diet eaters could not be much easier. So, let’s get to the recipe.
Orange Beef and Broccoli
Prep: 20 Min | Serves: 2
- 1 lb Thawed Ground Beef
- 1 tsp. Minced Garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Sugar-Free Orange Jello (0.3 oz package)
- 1 tsp. Freshly Grated Orange Zest
- 2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1-2 tbsp. Water
- 1 – 15 oz. Bag Microwave Safe Broccoli
- Everything But Bagel Seasoning (optional)
- Place the thawed ground beef in a medium skillet. Add the salt and garlic to the meat. Then, use a spatula to blend the ingredients together.
- Then, place the skillet on the burner and set the temperature to a medium heat setting.
- Meanwhile, start cooking your microwave-safe bag of frozen broccoli in the microwave to cook according to the instructions provided on the bag.
- Stir the meat every 2-3 minutes until the meat is thoroughly cooked and brown. Then, drain any excess fat from the meat.
- Once the meat is cooked and drained of excess fat, add the semi-cooked broccoli to the skillet.
- Finally, sprinkle the sugar-free orange jello powder and soy sauce over the beef and broccoli mixture.
- Stir and cover with a lid for 5-8 minutes until the flavors merge. You can add a little water as needed to help the flavors blend together.
- Serve this orange beef and broccoli recipe while it is still hot. Top with the freshly grated orange zest and everything but bagel seasoning blend.
If you are interested in more ground beef low carb meal recipes, check out our keto ground beef stroganoff, low carb meatballs, low carb chill, or low carb spaghetti. In addition to these simple low carb meals, you may also enjoy the low carb mexican salad, cheeseburger salad, bunless burger, and cheeseburger pizza.
This is probably the easiest orange and beef broccoli recipe that you can find. However, I like to add fresh orange zest to the skillet during the last 5 minutes. The orange zest provides an authentic orange taste that can enhance the sugar-free orange jello flavor. The traditional recipe is served over a bed of rice. Therefore, you can always serve this over a bag of cooked cauliflower rice. If you are a diabetic, please join our Diabetes Support Group. I hope you enjoy this unique low carb tangy orange beef and broccoli recipe!