Keto Strawberry Donuts
I found a small bag of unsweetened frozen strawberries in the freezer, so I decided to use some of them to make these delicious keto strawberry donuts! Strawberry cake donuts were one of my favorite traditional donuts before starting a low carb diet years ago. Just the smell of strawberry donuts and the layer of icing was enough to make me want to cave, but I didn’t! So, I really enjoyed making these keto strawberry donuts.
June is technically strawberry season. However, since I recently shared the keto lemon donuts recipe with you, I figured some of you may be looking for some more delicious keto donut recipes. I made these keto strawberry donuts for a low carb dessert. However, I usually place the leftovers in the refrigerator and eat them for a low carb breakfast the following day.
As a reminder, these keto strawberry donuts are low carb, high-fiber and diabetic-friendly. It is hard to believe, but diabetics can eat these keto strawberry donuts to help reverse type 2 diabetes. I used a Light & Fit Brand Strawberry Cheesecake Greek Yogurt to make these, so the entire batch has about 2 grams of added sugar from the Greek Yogurt. Alternatively, you can use about 3 tablespoons of unsweetened almond milk and double the strawberry extract to omit the Greek yogurt.
Keep in mind that fiber will help reduce your overall blood sugar. Both almond flour and psyllium husk are really high in fiber. Therefore, they will both reduce your net carb intake and blood sugar levels. You can read about the health benefits of almond flour and psyllium husk health benefits to learn more.
Monk Fruit in The Raw is a sugar substitute that is known to have a trivial impact on blood sugar levels and it actually tastes good. You can read my monk fruit review and learn more about the low impact erythritol has on blood sugar levels in the Winter 2019 edition of SIMPLE.
Keto Strawberry Donut
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Then start by mixing the dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Next, add the wet ingredients to the bowl and stir until the batter is mixed evenly.
- Then, carefully spoon the batter evenly into the donut molds. (I typically only get 5 donuts from this keto strawberry donuts recipe.) You should have to use a spoon to spread the batter into the mold evenly. Then, make sure the batter settles all the way in the mold by gently dropping the mold on the counter a few times.
- Now place the batter-filled donut molds in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the keto donuts from the oven and let them cool completely.
- Icing Preparation:
- Once the donuts have cooled, unmold them and place them on a plate (or wax paper).
- Use a small round microwave-safe bowl for your icing ingredient prep. This is the same bowl you will use to dip the keto strawberry donuts in the glaze after preparation. Therefore, make sure the bowl is large enough for you to dip the donuts inside.
- Add the sugar-free white chocolate chips, strawberry extract, and red food coloring to the bowl.
- Next, heat the icing ingredients in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Gently (but quickly) stir the icing until the lumps are completely removed.
- Dip each donut in the mixture and place them bag on the plate or parchment paper (dipped side up).
- The icing in the bowl will harden quickly, so you can reheat as needed.
- Let the icing harden and enjoy.
As mentioned, I often make donuts like these keto strawberry donuts for a snack one day and then store the extra ones in the refrigerator for a quick low carb breakfast the next day or two. I warm them in the microwave for about 10 seconds to remove the chill. Just an idea that you might like to try. Please like, share, and subscribe below. Enjoy your keto strawberry donuts!