Low Carb Meatballs – Italian Style
Italian low carb meatballs are a great keto low carb appetizer. However, if you are single, it is also a easy way to mix up your low carb dinner routine. These low carb meatballs are delicious as shown in the picture, however, they taste like mini pizza bites when dipped in one of your favorite tomato sauces.
Low carb meatballs can also be a good “on-the-go” snack when you are on the road. Especially when you are on a keto low carb diet and need to strictly monitor your carb intake. Most beef jerky meats have added sugars and are high in sodium. Homemade low carb meatballs can be a healthier snack alternative.
Traditional meatballs are often made with breadcrumbs. Therefore, traditional meatballs are higher in carbs and may spike your blood sugar unexpectedly. Because of this, low carb meatballs are the way to go for people with type 2 diabetes or on a plan to reverse type 2 diabetes.These keto low carb meatballs are delicious and moist! They are made without using any breadcrumbs. Instead, a simple combination of cheeses are used to help bind the meatball and the flavors together. In addition, tomato sauce is used to help keep the meat tender and moist while cooking. Therefore, the low carb meatballs may have a tomato red color after the meat has been completely cooked. Without any further ado, let’s get to the low carb meatballs recipe!
Low Carb Meatballs
Stove: Low-Medium | Time: 25 Min | Makes: 10 Meatballs
- 1 lb. Ground Beef (73% Lean, 27% Fat)
- ½ c. Shredded Italian Cheese
- 1 tbsp. Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp. Fresh Chopped Basil
- ½ tsp. Minced Garlic
- ¼ tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder
- ½ c. Tomato Sauce
- 1 Large Skillet (with a tight-fitting lid)
- Place thawed ground beef inside a medium mixing bowl.
- Next, pour the tomato sauce over the ground beef and use a spoon to stir the sauce into the meat.
- Then, add the shredded cheeses, chopped basil, minced garlic, ground black pepper, pink Himalayan sea salt, and onion powder to the bowl. Stir until all of the ingredients are combined evenly.
- Use your hands to roll the meat into medium palm-sized balls and place them in a medium skillet.
- Cover the skillet with a tight fitting lid and place the skillet on the stove. Use a low to medium stove setting to make sure the low carb meatballs cook thoroughly (about 20 minutes) without burning or drying out the meat.
- Once cooked, remove from skillet and drain any residual oil from the meatballs. Plate the low carb meatballs and then top with shredded Italian cheese and a few pieces of fresh chopped basil.
- Serve while hot with your favorite tomato sauce for an added effect.
Italian food was my absolute favorite food to eat! However, many popular Italian dishes are high in carbs. Therefore, when I switched to a low carb diet before a low carb diet became popular, I had to give up all of my favorite Italian foods. But now, there are so many low carb substitutes that are keto and diabetic-friendly. Because of this, it is always exciting to share good low carb Italian recipes like our 3 Meat Low Carb Pizza, Chicken Alfredo Pizza, and Low Carb Spaghetti Squash. Please like this page and subscribe below to get the latest blog posts. I hope you enjoy these low carb meatballs as much as I did.