Low Carb Beef Stew Recipe With “Potatoes!”
This is a really delicious low carb beef stew recipe! And amazingly, the beef turned out to be really tender. Many years ago, when I made my first beef stew, the meat turned out super tough and rubbery. Therefore, for a long period of time I was not interested in anyone’s beef stew after my “bubble gum beef” fiasco. So, if this is your first low carb beef stew recipe, I will share how to avoid making your low carb beef stew recipe tough!
A traditional beef stew is typically made with starchy high carb potatoes. Therefore, one of the first hurdles to creating a low carb beef stew recipe is finding a good potato substitute. The second dilemma comes in making the gravy for your stew. A traditional stew often involves adding flour to thicken the stew.
Since I am accustomed to eating low carb soups without adding flour, the second dilemma is less of an issue for me than the first. However, there is a way to fix that too. The quick and tasty fix for the potatoes may really surprise you. And the best part is that they really do taste like you are eating a potato!
Can you guess what was used instead of potatoes? – Radishes! They are incredible. Now that the secret “potato” substitute is out, let’s get started with this easy low carb beef stew recipe.
Low Carb Beef Stew
Serves: 2-3 | Prep: 45 Min
4 -5 C. Water
4 Stew Meat
5 Carrots (Sliced)
5 Radishes (halved or quarted)
1 Tsp. Minced Garlic
1/4 C. Chopped Yellow Onion
Steak Seasoning (to taste)
- Use a skillet to season your thawed beef stew meat with steak seasoning, garlic, and onions.
- Place the skillet on the stove over low heat. Cover with a lid, but stir occasionally until the meat is brown. You can add a little oil and/or water to the skillet beforehand to keep the beef from sticking to the pot.
- Add water to a small pot and place over medium heat.
- Once the beef is cooked, you can add your sliced carrots, radish wedges, and beef into the small pot. Cover with lid. Let the stew simmer over medium heat for 20 -30 minutes.
- Taste test the gravy after about 10 minutes to see if you want to add more steak seasoning, garlic, or onions. If so, add the additional spices, stir, and re-cover.
- After about 30 minutes, sample the beef to see if it is tender. If not, you can remove the cooked veggies and let the beef simmer until it becomes tender.
That is all there is to making this delicious low carb beef stew recipe with “potatoes!” I hope you enjoy this small pot of goodness as much as I did. I may double the recipe next time in order to have some easy on-the-go leftovers for lunch or dinner. Please like and subscribe via email below. You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram. And of course, if you have any questions or comments about this low carb beef stew recipe feel free to leave them below.