Baked Jicama Fries Recipe – With Italian Herbs & Garlic
This is a simple baked Jicama fries recipe. Jicama has the texure of a really firm apple. And, it actually taste like a lightly sweetened apple. However, the skin of jicama is not edible, only the white part inside. Therefore, peeling jicama is not an option!
Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes are a high carb food that is not really allowed on a keto or low carb diet. Therefore, potato chips and french fries are one of the low carb diet foods to avoid. So, eating a baked jicama fries recipe is a nice substitute without all of the extra carbs!
One cup of sliced Jicama = 0g fat, 11g carbs, 6g fiber, 5mg sodium, 180 mg potassium, 1 g protein
Because of the taste, those of you that are or were huge fans of sweet potato fries or sweet potato chips may like this unique baked jicama fries recipe. And as with most root vegetables, there are some nice jicama health benefits. especially for people following a keto or low carb diet.
Jicama is a really firm root vegetable, therefore to make this baked jicama fries recipe it is recommended that you boil the fries for about 10 minutes first. Then, cover them in seasoning and place them in the oven. Otherwise, you will likely end up with hard, dried-out, and chewy fries. When you pre-boil the jicama fries, they will result in a softer jicama fries recipe.
Oven: 400 | Serves: 3 -4 Time | 1 hour
1 Jicama Root
1 – 3 tsp. Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. Turmeric
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Italian Herbs
- Peel the jicama to remove all of the brown skin.
- Slice in half first and then cut into small wedge-shaped fries.
- Place on stove to boil for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and carefully drain all excess water.
- Place the boiled jicama in a container with a lid.
- Add all of the seasoning to the bowl of jicama.
- Cover with a lid and then gently toss.
- Pour onto a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Arrange them carefully to make sure they cook.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 – 45 minutes, or until soft.
This is my first time making a baked jicama fries recipe. So, the next jicama recipe will likely be made into a low carb dessert. Let me know what you think of this baked jicama fries recipe.