Low Carb Pumpkin Salad Recipe (w/Spinach and Feta)
This a simple low carb pumpkin salad recipe with spinach and feta. However, you can make it a low carb low sodium meal by omitting or reducing the amount of feta cheese used. To me, this low carb salad screams Fall! So, I had to put a quick post together for a low carb pumpkin salad recipe.
Pumpkins are a popular squash during the Fall months. While most of us are looking for yummy low carb pumpkin bread, pumpkin spice lattes, cookies, or spiced teas, this low carb pumpkin salad recipe puts an interesting twist on pumpkin. The salad is simple, but the roasted pumpkin requires a little bit of work. Because of that, you may want to save the seeds and roast them while you are working hard in the kitchen.
I adapted a roasted pumpkin recipe that I found online. So, you can play with herbs and spices to fit your taste as well. The recipe I initially found called for olive oil, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, and sea salt.
Prep: 30 – 40 minutes | Oven: 400 degrees | Bake: 20 – 30 minutes | Serving: 1 – 2
1 Small Pumpkin (sliced into wedges)
1 c. Fresh Spinach Leaves
1/4 c. Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/4 c. Hazelnuts or Walnuts
1/4 Medium Red Bell Pepper (sliced)
1/4 c. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. Basil
1 tsp. Oregano
Dash Sea Salt (optional)
- Place olive oil in a medium bowl,
- Add minced garlic, basil, oregano, and salt (optional).
- Stir and set aside. This will let the flavors start fusing into the oil.
- Preheat Oven: 400 degrees
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut the top off of the pumpkin.
- Remove seeds and stringy center filling. Discard or set aside for roasting.
- Next, cut a small part of the bottom off of the pumpkin.
- Slice the pumpkin in half and begin slicing into 1 inch wedges.
- Place wedges on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle both sides with the oil mixture.
- Bake: 20 – 30 minutes (check after 15 minutes)
- Spread spinach leaves across a rectangle-shaped plate serving dish.
- Place sliced red peppers over the spinach leaves.
- Add cooked pumpkin wedges.
- Sprinkle with unsalted nuts and crumbled feta cheese.
Keep in mind that the size of pumpkins vary dramatically! Therefore, you may need to double the oil mixture and its ingredients depending on the size of your pumpkin.
The baking time can also vary depending on the size of the pumpkin wedges. Larger sized wedges will require more time that thinner wedges.
To make it a low carb low sodium meal, use olive oil and more herbs and spices to finish flavoring the salad. Otherwise, add your favorite blue cheese or ranch dressing.
This concludes the low carb pumpkin salad recipe with spinach and feta.