Low Carb Spring Rolls
These low carb spring rolls are the next addition to the low carb wraps series. It is an Asian Inspired Shrimp Spring Roll. Traditionally, the Vietnamese Shrimp Roll is wrapped in a high-carb rice paper. Then, it is served with a delicious sweet and spicy peanut dipping sauce. As you can imagine, the combination of flavors are a real treat for the palate!
Since the taste is such a treat, I decided to make the low carb spring rolls using this basic low carb wrap as a substitute for the rice paper. The low carb wraps are made of organic coconut. If you have been following the blog, these low carb wraps were introduced earlier with this low carb wraps recipe.
This is super easy low carb recipe! The main ingredients are cabbage and shrimp. However, I did use several reusable ingredients to make these low carb spring roll. Therefore, if you are a low carb foodie, the flavor combination is definitely worth it!
The flavor adding ingredients include ginger paste, cilantro, minced garlic, green onions, lime juice, sesame seed oil, and peanut butter. Then, to add a bit of spicy flavoring, I used Sriracha, teriyaki, and soy sauce to the peanut butter to make the “dipping sauce.”
Instead of using a separate dipping sauce, I added the sweet and spicy peanut butter sauce directly on the wrap. However, if you prefer, you can certainly use it as a side dipping sauce.
- 1 Organic Coconut Wrap
- 5 Large Shrimp
- 1 Jif-To-Go Peanut Butter Cup (about 1-1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1-2 Tsp. Sriracha Sauce
- 1/4 tsp. Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/4 Tsp. Soy Sauce
- 1/8 tsp. Sesame Seed Oil
- 1 -2 Tsp. Ginger Paste
- 1/2 c. Chopped Cabbage
- 1/8 c. Chopped Cilantro
- 1 – 2 Tsp. Lime Juice
- 1/2 Chopped Green Onion
- 1/8 Tsp. Minced Garlic (optional)
- Using a small bowl, mix the cabbage, cilantro, ginger paste, garlic (optional), & lime juice together and set aside.
- Next, using the Jif-to-go Peanut Butter container, carefully stir the peanut butter, sriracha, teriyaki, sesame oil, and soy sauce together.
- Now you can place the organic coconut wrap on a large plate.
- Using a spoon, spread the peanut butter mixture across the center of the wrap.
- Then add cabbage mixture to the top of the peanut butter mixture.
- Place thawed cooked shrimp on top.
- Sprinkle your low carb spring roll with mince chopped green onions.
Instead of using pre-cooked shrimp, you can cook your own shrimp. This will add even more flavor to your low carb spring rolls.
The first time I tried this recipe using low carb wraps, I cooked my own shrimp. Therefore, I was able to marinade the shrimp with teriyaki sauce, garlic, and sea salt before cooking. Needless to say, this too was very yummy! However, the shrimp were not pretty and pink. Plus, I had a bigger mess to clean up.
The first time, I left the wrap open. Therefore, you too can either fold the low carb spring rolls in half or wrap them like a traditional spring roll. You might also like the Italian Low Carb Wraps, Low Carb Spinach Wrap, or Low Carb Taco Wraps. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the low carb spring rolls recipe!